|Faction|| - AAF|
|Type||Infantry Fighting Vehicle|
|Seats|| 11 seats:
|Item capacity||3000 mass|
|Top speed|| 100 km/h on land
11 km/h in water
|Fuel capacity||24 fuel units|
|Primary armament|| Main:
|Secondary armament|| Secondary:
- Troop transport
- Fire support
|«|| The AFV-4 Gorgon is an amphibious 8x8 all--wheel-drive armored personal carrier, used to carry soldiers to the battlefield and provide fire support. Its remote controlled CTWS turret is usually mounted with a 30mm cannon, coaxial machine gun and 2 guided AT missiles. Crew consists of a driver and gunner/commander, with further seating available for 9 additional soldiers.|
The Gorgon is an 8x8 armoured combat vehicle that uses an inverted V-shape hull. It is designed to transport troops into battle and to provide fire support against a variety of ground threats.
It is fitted with a 30 mm autocannon that is capable of firing both high-explosive and armour-piercing rounds at ranges of up to 1,500 metres.
In addition to its primary cannon and 7.62 mm coaxial machine gun, the Gorgon has anti-tank guided missiles that are capable of defeating or at least disabling heavily armoured vehicles, allowing it to assume (albeit limited) a tank destroyer role if necessary.
The standard loadout of the Gorgon gives it 280 rounds of multi-purpose (MP-T) explosive rounds and 120 armor-piercing fin-stabilized discarding sabot (APFSDS-T) shells for the main gun. Each munition type feeds from 140- and 60-round "magazines" for MP and APFSDS shells (respectively).
The coaxial MMG feeds from a single 200-round belt and has a further 7 belts in reserve. The adjacent launcher pod has 2 infrared-guided Titan anti-tank missiles pre-loaded by default, and can be reloaded once (which gives it a total of 4 missiles).
Fairly well-armoured, the Gorgon can protect the crew and its passengers from both small arms fire, moderately-sized explosives and land mines.
The weaknesses of the Gorgon's design mainly stem from its large hull. It has the highest turret profile of all the wheeled APCs/IFVs, is disadvantaged by having an exposed turret (a flaw shared with the BTR-K) that renders it vulnerable to being disabled from machine gun fire or grenades, has somewhat poor handling while off-road and finally, has a slow turn rate.
Nonetheless, the Gorgon is still well-suited to serve in both APC and IFV roles, making it useful in any situation due to its multi-role capabilities.
The Gorgon has a seating capacity of eleven personnel including the crew. The crew includes the driver, gunner and commander.
- Digital Green: Digitised semi-fractal camouflage pattern used by all AAF vehicles and aircraft. Suited to forested and grassy environments, but otherwise useless in arid and desert terrain.
- Digital Green (Desert Camo Net):** Identical to the standard Digital Green camouflage pattern but changes any applied camo nets to use a two-tone desert camouflage scheme.
- Digital Green (Jungle Camo Net):** Also identical to the baseline Digital Green camouflage pattern, but changes any applied camo nets to use a two-tone woodland camouflage scheme instead.
- Guerrilla 01:* Olive green paint scheme with tan line stripes. Has a graffiti slogan written on the right side of the hull that says "FREEDOM OR DEATH" in Altian.
- Guerrilla 02:* Tan paint scheme with black line stripes.
- Guerrilla 03:* Olive green paint scheme with black line stripes.
(*) The guerrilla camouflage schemes are exclusively used by government loyalist-operated Gorgons only.
(**) Changes are only visible if the Gorgon has the Camo Net component attached to it.
The Gorgon has a base armour value of 480.
It does not have any Explosive Reactive Armour blocks/panels installed, but has the option of being fitted with slat cages covering both the rear and each side of the hull (up to a total of eight individual cages).
- Slat Cage (Hull): Attaches slat cages around the entire hull aside from the turret. Slat cages will protect the Gorgon from non-AP munitions but can be destroyed after multiple hits.
- Camo Net (Hull): Drapes most of the hull with camouflage netting (the turret is not covered). Partially conceals covered sections from thermal sensors.
NOTE: For specifics on the CTWS Cannon 30 mm's munitions, see its related section listed here.
The Gorgon's gunner controls all three of the turret's weapons - the CTWS Cannon 30 mm, Coaxial MG 7.62 mm and the Titan Missile launcher. Regardless of weapon, the gunner's optics feature three fields of view and can toggle a day, night or black-hot/white-hot thermal vision mode:
CTWS Cannon 30 mm
The CTWS Cannon 30 mm serves as the Gorgon's primary weapon.
It has an effective firing range of 1,500 metres. The CTWS Cannon can attain a fire rate of up to 200 RPM. There is no delay for switching between the different rounds, but it takes 40 seconds to reload the "magazine" for each individual type. Dispersion is also identical regardless of whether AP or HE rounds are being fired, and is always fixed at 0.0018 rad.
The fire control system can automatically adjust zeroing on targets moving at speeds of up to ~ 110 km/h. There is a fixed delay of 1 second before the FCS can finish adjusting the zeroing. The gunner can also opt to manually zero, though it is only available in increments of 100 m that go up to a maximum of 3000 m.
Coaxial MG 7.62 mm
The Coaxial MG 7.62 mm is fitted adjacent to the main autocannon and is functionally identical to those employed on Main Battle Tanks. The sole difference is that it takes up to 20 seconds for a second belt to be reloaded.
It has an effective firing range of 300 metres up to a maximum of 1,200 metres. It has a fire rate of 800 RPM and always has a fixed dispersion of 0.0016 rad regardless of range.
The Coaxial MG's FCS can only zero against targets moving at speeds of up to ~110 km/h. It has an imposed delay of 1 second before it can finish adjusting.
The Titan Missile ATGM launcher pod is also fitted adjacent to the main autocannon, and serves as the Gorgon's auxiliary weapon.
Titan ATGMs have a minimum lock-on range of 200 metres and a maximum lock-on range of 5,000 metres. The gunner can choose either a direct fire or top-attack mode for the missile's flight profile. The pod has a delay of 0.5 seconds in-between launches, but requires 30 seconds to reload another pair of missiles each time.
The missiles use HEAT warheads, combining an explosive charge with a kinetic penetrator submunition. The explosive charge has a blast radius of 4 metres. They have an initial launch speed of 36 m/s, and can reach a maximum of up to 180 m/s at top speed.
Its seekers are infrared-guided, and can acquire targets moving at speeds of up to 126 km/h. They cannot however, lock onto targets that are 50 metres above terrain level (ATL), and have a 50% chance to lose lock against smoke countermeasures. The gunner also has the option to manually guide the missile via SACLOS, but the maximum distance for both forms of guidance remain the same (5,000 metres).
- The Gorgon is based off the real-world 8x8 variant of the "Pandur II" APC.
- Despite the Field Manual stating that the Gorgon can transport nine passengers in its rear compartment, it is only actually capable of transporting eight at a time. This mix-up is mostly due to the commander's position being erroneously considered as a passenger seat.
- Unused textures still present in the game files indicate that during the pre-Alpha phase of ArmA 3's development, the Gorgon was originally meant to be a NATO vehicle instead.
- Unlike the Strider however, the alternate texture cannot be applied to the Gorgon without use of the setObjectTexture scripting command.
Vehicles of comparable role and configuration
- AMV-7 Marshall (NATO counterpart)
- MSE-3 Marid (CSAT counterpart)
- Pandur II 8x8 CZ (ACR predecessor, ArmA 2: ACR only)
|AAF - Vehicles (ArmA 3)|
|Wheeled||Strider • AFV-4 Gorgon • Quadbike • UGV Stomper • Zamak (MLR)|
|Tracked||AWC Nyx • FV-720 Mora • MBT-52 Kuma|
|Rotor-wing||AR-2 Darter • AL-6 Pelican • CH-49 Mohawk • WY-55 Hellcat|
|Fixed-wing||A-143 Buzzard • A-149 Gryphon • K40 Abalil-3|
|Aquatic||Assault boat • Speedboat • Swimmer delivery vehicle|
|Jets DLC | Laws of War DLC | Tanks DLC|