|«||The Designated Marksman Rifle is a semi-automatic, gas-operated rifle. It is a modified and accuracy-increased version of the M14 rifle and is used extensively by the US Marine Corps. This weapon uses 7.62x51 NATO cartridges and is highly prized for its power, light weight and rapid, but accurate fire.
|DMR 7.62 mm|
|Type||Designated Marksman Rifle|
|Calibre||7.62×51 mm NATO|
The DMR is a gas operated battle rifle with a rotating bolt that is chambered to fire the 7.62×51 mm NATO round.
It loads from 20-round box magazines, and can attain a rate of fire of up to 600 rounds per minute with a muzzle velocity of 900 m/s. The DMR is only available in a single model that is fitted with a sniper scope that has a magnification strength range of 5x-14x and has a (non-functional) bipod attached beneath the barrel.
The weapon of choice of U.S. Marine marksmen and Force Recon operatives, the DMR is an all-round decent sharpshooter weapon. Unlike its U.S. Army counterpart, the DMR's use of a sniper scope allows the operator to reliably engage targets at distances of up to 800 metres by default.
However, the DMR is not a selective-fire weapon and is restricted to semi-auto only. Its scope is quite cumbersome and lacks a backup sight, further hampering its usefulness in close quarters. With no enhanced vision optics like the M110 or a suppressor for stealth missions, its utility is niche at best and can't be used for much more than sniping in daylight.
|Base damage value||Aerodynamic friction||Initial velocity (m/s)|
The DMR can only load one specific type of magazine. It requires one inventory slot to carry:
Does not have any visible tracers.
- In real-life, the USMC's "Designated Marksman Rifle" that the in-game DMR is based on was replaced by the "M39 Enhanced Marksman Rifle" in 2010.
- Most USMC DMRs were already phased out of service at that point by other marksman rifles like the "Squad Advanced Marksman Rifle" - which is conspicuously not present in ArmA 2 despite having been in USMC service for eight years by the time of the game's release (the M39 itself was also eventually replaced in 2012 by the real-world "M110 SASS").
- The DMR is shown to be Sergeant Sykes' weapon of choice as he wields it throughout almost every mission in Operation Harvest Red.
- On release, the user could strangely equip night vision goggles while looking through the DMR's scope, making it the only marksman rifle that allowed its user to aim through the optics without a dedicated night vision-enhanced scope.
- This was finally addressed with the latest Community Configuration Project updates, which disabled this "feature" entirely.
Weapons of comparable role and configuration
|USMC - Armoury (ArmA 2)|
|Handguns||M1911 .45 • M9 9 mm|
|Submachine guns||MP5 9 mm|
|Carbines||M4A1 5.56 mm (M4A1 M203)|
|Assault rifles||M16A4 5.56 mm (M16A4 M203)|
|Designated marksman rifles||DMR 7.62 mm • Mk12 SPR 5.56 mm|
|Sniper rifles||M107 .50 • M24 7.62 mm (M40A3)|
|Squad automatic weapons||M249 SAW 5.56 mm|
|Machineguns||Mk 48 Mod 0 7.62 mm • M240 7.62 mm|
|Launchers||FGM-148 Javelin • FIM-92F Stinger • M136 • SMAW|
|Static||M2 • M252 • Mk19 • M119A1 • Searchlight • Stinger • TOW|
|(Parenthesis) denote variants.|