|«||Katiba is a bullpup assault rifle of an Eastern origin and was developed in cooperation with China. It fires 6.5 mm caseless ammunition. Thanks to its construction, the rifle is really reliable and has a low recoil. Katiba is a standard issue weapon for OPFOR armies. Three versions of Katiba exist: standard, a shorter carbine and a GL version equipped with an underslung grenade launcher.
|Katiba 6.5 mm|
|Type||Bullpup Assault Rifle|
|Variants||Katiba GL, Katiba Carbine|
The Katiba is a gas operated bullpup assault rifle chambered to fire the caseless 6.5×39 mm round.
It loads from 30-round box magazines and can attain a rate of fire of up to 800 rounds per minute, with a muzzle velocity of 900 m/s. The Katiba accepts accessories on its top and side rails, and can also be fitted with muzzle attachments though it cannot support bipods.
Compared to its NATO counterpart, it has less recoil and a greater fire rate (800 RPM versus the MX's 625). It also has a slightly shorter barrel length, which makes it compact to carry and less of a hindrance in close quarters. However, it should be noted that like its Pacific CSAT counterpart, the Katiba has noticeably higher dispersion at distances beyond 400-500 metres.
Because of its bullpup layout, it also requires one whole additional second to rearm compared to the MX. Lastly, it lacks access to extended capacity magazines and is always restricted to 30-rounders; a limitation which its American and Chinese-made counterparts do not share.
In spite of these downsides, the baseline Katiba nonetheless remains easier to handle compared to the MX. Firing rapidly on semi or full auto - whether in close quarters or against targets 300 metres away, is entirely feasible due to its simple to manage recoil.
|Katiba GL 6.5 mm|
|Type||Bullpup Assault Rifle / UGL|
|Calibre||6.5×39 mm / 40 mm|
|30 / 1|
|Variants||Katiba, Katiba Carbine|
The Katiba GL is simply a modified version of the baseline Katiba fitted with an underbarrel grenade launcher.
It is chambered to fire the same caseless 6.5×39 mm round while the grenade launcher is designed to load 40 mm grenades, ranging from high-explosive (HE) grenades, to less-than-lethal (LTL) flares and non-lethal smoke shells.
Exclusively wielded by Mediterranean CSAT grenadiers and other specialist infantry classes, it loads from the same 30-round box magazines and is statistically identical to the baseline Katiba.
The underbarrel EGLM grenade launcher uses a red dot quadrant sight which can be zeroed to launch grenades at ranges of up to 400 m.
Aside from the underbarrel GL which slightly increases the weapon's inertia and weight, the Katiba GL's recoil and accuracy remains unchanged.
|Katiba Carbine 6.5 mm|
|Variants||Katiba, Katiba GL|
The Katiba Carbine is a compact variant of the baseline rifle. Performance-wise, it has the same rate of fire (800 RPM) and still loads from 30-round box magazines. The sole difference is that it uses a shorter barrel which reduces its muzzle velocity to 820 m/s.
This decreases its total weight and makes it more compact to carry - ideal for vehicle crewmen, mounted police officers and close quarters.
However, this comes at the cost of some accuracy and range; the latter limiting the Katiba Carbine's effective range to just under 350 metres and less.
|Base damage value||Aerodynamic friction||Initial velocity (m/s)||Penetration depth (mm)|
For grenade rounds usable with the EGLM, refer to its dedicated article here.
All variants of the Katiba support being loaded with two types of magazines. Both weigh exactly the same with a "mass" of 10 units.
6.5 mm 30Rnd Caseless Mag
Standard caseless 6.5 mm ammunition. The last four rounds of the magazine always consist of visible green tracers.
6.5 mm 30Rnd Tracer (Green) Caseless Mag
30 rounds worth of visible green tracers.
- All variants of the Katiba are based on the real-world "KH-2002 Khaybar" bullpup assault rifle designed by the Defense Industries Organization (DIO), a conglomerate of arms manufacturers based in Iran. The real KH-2002 has seen limited use within the Iranian Armed Forces and by certain non-state actor groups supported by Iran.
- On the other hand, the Katiba GL variant's underbarrel launcher appears to be based on the "ML40 mk2" grenade launcher designed by Madritsch Weapon Technology, an Austrian arms company.
- Despite being clearly modelled with non-double stacked STANAG magazines that would only be able to fit twenty rounds, all variants of the Katiba are strangely capable of firing up to thirty rounds per magazine.
- For ArmA 3's pre-Alpha phase of development, early media releases did not show either the Katiba or its sub-variants being used as the service weapon of Mediterranean CSAT forces. The TRG-21 was (presumably) used as a temporary placeholder instead until the Katiba was eventually added into the game.
- Following the release of the Apex expansion pack's Old Man mini-campaign/scenario, Tanoan Gendarmerie officers can also be seen wielding the baseline rifle and carbine (though excluding the UGL-equipped variant).
Weapons of comparable role and configuration
- MX (NATO counterpart)
- SPAR-16 (CTRG counterpart, ArmA 3: Apex only)
- CAR-95 (Pacific CSAT counterpart, ArmA 3: Apex only)
|CSAT - Armoury (ArmA 3)|
|Handguns||Rook-40 9 mm • Zubr .45|
|Submachine guns||Sting 9 mm|
|Carbines||Katiba Carbine 6.5 mm|
|Assault rifles||CAR-95 series (CAR-95, CAR-95 GL) • Katiba 6.5 mm (Katiba GL) • SDAR 5.56 mm • Type 115 6.5 mm*|
|Designated marksman rifles||ASP-1 Kir 12.7 mm • CMR-76 6.5 mm • Cyrus 9.3 mm • Rahim 7.62 mm|
|Sniper rifles||GM6 Lynx 12.7 mm|
|Squad automatic weapons||CAR-95-1 5.8 mm • Zafir 7.62 mm|
|Machineguns||Navid 9.3 mm|
|Launchers||9M135 Vorona • RPG-42 • Titan MPRL • Titan MPRL Compact|
|Static||Mk6 Mortar • Mk30 • Mk32 • Remote Designator • Static Titan Launcher (AA, AT)|
|(Parenthesis) denote variants.|
* denotes weapons exclusive to the Viper sub-faction.
Marksmen DLC | Apex DLC | Tanks DLC
|Gendarmerie - Armoury (ArmA 3)|
|Handguns||P07 9 mm|
|Submachine guns||ADR-97 TR* (ADR-97C TR*) • Protector 9 mm|
|Carbines||AKS-74U 5.45 mm* • Katiba Carbine 6.5 mm*|
|Assault rifles||AKM 7.62 mm* • Katiba 6.5 mm* • Promet series* (Promet*, Promet SG*) • SPAR-16 5.56 mm*|
|Squad automatic weapons||LIM-85 5.56 mm*|
|(Parenthesis) denote variants.|
* denotes post-Apex Protocol weapons.
Apex DLC | Contact DLC